I’ve made my first corner-to-corner blanket (c2c) and it’s absolutely luscious. I used King Cole Riot Chunky; I love the DK Riot, so was thrilled to discover they did it in a chunky weight, too. I’d seen this brown shade on Ravelry and was gutted to discover that it had been discontinued, then I struck gold on eBay and picked up 20 balls. I’d thought that maybe 20 balls was excessive, but this yarn is very thick and heavy and one ball doesn’t go very far at all. I ended up using 17 (and a smidge of ball 18) for this blanket. Read the rest of this entry »
You are currently browsing the monthly archive for March 2015.
I went to investigate a fabric shop in Sheffield at the weekend and came away with some beautiful fat quarters to make into crochet hook cases. I’ve accumulated quite a collection of Clover crochet hooks, both the Clover Amour and the Soft Touch, and they’re stuffed in a case meant for circular knitting needles. I found a simple pattern was all set to go. Read the rest of this entry »
Having made a simple bag, I wanted to have a crack at something a little more challenging. I’d seen (and bought) the pattern for the Bionic Gear Bag Notions Tote months ago. It looked like a very useful bag to have for carrying my sewing paraphernalia to and from my quilting class. Up until now I’ve been using a small plastic box that Jamie used to keep coloured pencils in. I’ve outgrown it as I’ve acquired more stuff, but have resisted buying a sewing basket because I wanted this instead of a sewing basket. Having been so successful with my first bag, I decided to pick out some fabric and have a crack at it. As you can see, it was doable but it was a bit of a leap! Read the rest of this entry »
Having finished my first quilt, I decided it was about time I had a go at something on my own. Last summer, I treated myself to a layer cake and a jelly roll, both from the Hello Fall range by Moda. I came across a YouTube tutorial that seemed perfect for the jelly roll. The instructions in the videa are very clear and I had no trouble putting it together. The hardest part was cutting the fusible-backed foam to size. I needed a piece 15″ x 30″ and thought I’d done it, then measured again and I’d managed to cut it to 15″ x 24″! I’m not quite sure how that happened, but fortunately I’d bought a big piece with the intention of making more bags. The foam tends to slide about so I really didn’t enjoy cutting it but otherwise, everything was straight-forward. Read the rest of this entry »